Guest: Lisa Keating from My Purple Umbrella
This amazing women tells the story of how she went from being a massage therapist with a gift for crafting to becoming an advocate for LGBTQ+ rights in WA state through her nonprofit, My Purple Umbrella. Ideas referenced in the show:
- HB2661 Anderson- Murray Background
- HIB details; HIB Resources from Tacoma Public Schools
- Teaching conflict management for kids Pre-K through 5th grade--Kelso’s Choice
- SCDM - each school building has a committee that works on school-wide initiatives. It’s a great place to start if you want to make positive change happen in local schools.
- Language changes over time, be patient with the process and also have grace for yourself and others
Timeless or Terrible: Tanning
Do Your Fudging Homework:
- Lisa: Check out My Purple Umbrella’s book club - the Queerest Book Club Ever - at King’s Books on the first Monday of each month. The book for March is Queer: a Graphic History by Meg-John Barker.
- Annie: One Teacher in Ten, edited by Kevin Jennings and 50 Queers Who Changed the World by Daniel Jones.
- Hope: YA books! Simon vs. the Homosapien Agenda by Becky Albertalli, None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio and If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo.