Our EQ: Are lies ever really victimless and why do lies from white women have a disproportionate impact?
Lying is a familiar activity to everyone. Whether it’s little - I swear I didn’t take the last Girl Scout cookie, must have been you - or big - I swear I’m not cheating on you, we’re just friends - lies have consequences. This is especially true for White women who are believed innocent more than anyone else. White lady lies or hwhite lies have more detrimental consequences because of systemic racism and white supremacy. Urban Dictionary defines a white lie as “lies that white people have told others to make their self look righteous”
Famous white ladies who lied:
- Tanya Harding---see documentary I, Tonya
- Rachel Dolezal--The Rachel Divide documentary April 27 on Netflix!!!
- Ijeoma Oluo article from the Stranger April 2017 called The Heart of Whiteness
- Hope Hicks
- Hilary Clinton Superpredators
- One of the worse offenders is Carolyn Bryant Donham who finally admits her claims against Emmett Till were false
Timeless or Terrible:
- Travel size anything
- Teen gossip shows - Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars
- Soft Pretzels & Cheese
Do Your Fudging Homework:
- Hope: stop telling white lies; Being Black in a World Where White Lies Matter
- Annie: don’t let people in power get away with their lies. Hold them accountable!