EQ: What’s the best way to beat the summer heat while also handily dismantling racist, sexist, misogynistic hetero-patriarchal white supremacy?
We start this episode channel in our inner basic NW white lady with suggestions for how to stay literally cool thi summer. From cold brew to boozy slurpees, find ways to have a little fun and do a little self-care. Go enjoy a glacier while we still have them - i.e. go to a higher altitude and meditate on global warming.
We note that it seems that summer time not only emboldens bad outfit choices, it strengthens white supremacists. What’s up with Washington attracting white supremacists? Read more here:
- National Resurgence: Thousands of Fliars sent to “Patriotic” homes
- Renton: Puget Sound Anarchists No Sanctuary for Nazis
- BWT, Charlotteville Organizer application for permit to March on WA (Anniversary of Charlotteville protest)
- Seattle Times on the Atomwoffen Division, a Neo-Nazi group that houses its largest cell in Washington.
- The Northwest Territorial Imperative
- Inside Seattle’s white nationalist groups
- UW Tacoma/other college campuses inundated with fliers
Hot Tips for beating the Nazis:
- Educate yourself about white supremacist and white nationalist language and symbology so you can identify it when you see it. Educate others.
- Address issues in your neighborhood directly (or indirectly, if you’re concerned for your safety or the safety of others).
- Take action online - share information on social media so that others can access it. Look for dismissive language and know how to respond. For example, if someone says “Nazi is a misnomer. They were a political party and they no longer exist” on Twitter, prepare a snappy comeback, like “the ideology still exists regardless of labels,” or “Delete your account.”
- Disconnect White Power Tacoma or join Tacoma Against Nazis on Facebook
- What’s Going on With America’s White People
Do Your Fudging Homework:
- Annie: Go read “So You Want to Fight White Supremacy” by Ijeoma Oluo from the Establishment. Preferably while you drink a boozy slurpee on some covered patio while misting yourself with one of those spray bottle fans.
- Hope: Educate yourself on the rise of white supremacists in the NW and take action---if you need ideas, send us a DM